Dr Sanghamitra Burman
MBBS, MD(AIIMS), DNB(GOLD), FICO (UK), FRCS (UK)
CONSULTANT OPHTHALMIC SURGEON
CORNEA, CATARACT, LASIK AND REFRACTIVE SURGEON
- Dr. Sanghamitra Burman is a highly qualified and experienced Consultant Eye Surgeon in Bangalore, India.
- She is a Fellowship trained specialist in Cornea, Cataract, Implant and Laser Refractive Surgery.
- Having specialized in LASIK eye surgery/ laser vision correction, cataract and corneal surgery for over 15 years, she has performed hundreds of corneal transplants and thousands of cataract and refractive surgical procedures.
- Her areas of special interest include LASIK/laser vision correction, keratoconus treatment, cataract and ICL/refractive lens surgery, corneal transplantation/ keratoplasty, limbal stem cell transplantation, ocular surface disorders and reconstruction, corneal trauma and infections, keratoprosthesis (artificial cornea) and contact lenses.
- Dr Sanghamitra Burman is known to treat her patients not just with exceptional care but with extraordinary expertise, experience and excellence….qualities she has imbibed from the extensive work experience at some of the world’s best eye institutes including Moorfield’s Eye Hospital, London, AIIMS, New Delhi and Aravind Eye Hospital, Sankara Nethralaya and LV Prasad Eye Institute.
- Her experience runs the gamut from sight-threatening corneal diseases to sight-restoring surgical procedures of the cornea and anterior segment. With over a decade’s involvement in cornea and anterior segment disease she has successfully treated hundreds of patients with severe damage to the cornea as well as prevented severe vision loss in numerous others.
Our chief surgeon, at SightYears Eye Clinic is among the most experienced and well- trained in the country. As one of the best eye surgeons in Bangalore, Dr Burman utilises the latest surgical techniques and equipment to ensure that she brings to her patients the highest standards of care.
As well- known eye specialists in Bangalore, we are committed to providing you with truly customized, quality eye care. To schedule an appointment for CXL, ICL, customised contact lenses and the spectrum of keratoconus treatment in Bangalore, call our clinic or use the contact form.
|FRCS Ophthalmology||Oct 2001||Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, UK|
|ICO I -II||Mar 2001||International Council of Ophthalmology, Cambridge|
|D.N.B. Diplomate of the National Board (Gold Medal)||May 2000||National Board of Examinations, New Delhi|
|M.D. Ophthalmology||Jan 2000||All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi|
|M.B.B.S.||Dec 1996||Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry|
|Vasan Eye Care Hospital, Bangalore||Senior Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery Service|
|Apollo Hospitals, Bangalore India||Senior Consultant ophthalmic Surgeon|
|LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad||Senior Consultant Cornea, Refractive and Anterior segment Service|
|Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK||Fellow (Specialist Registrar)- Cornea, External Disease and Refractive Surgery Service|
|Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK||Fellow (Specialist Registrar)- Cataract and Anterior segment Service|
|Sussex Eye Hospital, Brighton UK||Short term Fellowship – MOOKP Unit|
|St Pauls Eye Unit, Liverpool, UK||Clinical Attachment – Cornea and Glaucoma Unit|
|L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad||Research associate – Ocular Immunology and Stem Cell Lab|
|Sadhuram Eye Hospital, Hyderabad||Senior Assistant Ophthalmic Surgeon|
|Sankara Nethralaya, Medical Research Foundation, Chennai||Fellow – Phacoemulsification and Advanced Microsurgery|
|Aravind Eye Hospital , Madurai||Fellow – Cornea, External Eye Disease & Refractive surgery|
|RP Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) New Delhi, India||Post Graduate / Junior Resident|
- Dr Sanghamitra Burman completed fellowship training in Cornea and External Diseases at Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai followed by the Sir Ratan Tata fellowship in advanced phacoemulsification from Sankara Netralaya, Chennai. Both of which are foremost and amongst the top 5 Eye Hospitals in India.
- Following a brief attachment at St. Pauls Eye Unit, Liverpool UK she was the first Indian Ophthalmologist from India, to meritoriously secure and successfully complete dual Higher Speciality Training Cornea and Refractive Surgery Fellowships at the world renowned Moorfield’s Eye Hospital, London, UK.
- Dr Sanghamitra Burman has gained extensive experience in the field of Refractive Laser Vision Correction, Cataract Surgery, Ocular Surface and Corneal Transplant Surgery at Moorfield’s Eye Hospital in London, where she pursued Advanced Clinical and Surgical Fellowships between 2003 and 2006. A unique accomplishment that provides a high level of expertise, second to none.
- At Moorfield’s she learned the fine art and the complex science of advanced diagnosis and management of complicated anterior segment eye problems under the tutelage of John Dart, Julian Stevens, Frank Larkin and Vincenzo Maurino who are amongst the most respected cornea specialists in the world.
- Dr Sanghamitra has developed superior techniques in LASIK and Cataract surgery, which deliver high rates of success for patients in her care. In addition she adds careful preoperative screening criteria and aggressive postoperative attention to create a high level of safety for each patient she encounters.
- She has obtained further key experience in ocular surface reconstruction and artificial corneal surgery (keratoprosthesis) at Moorfield’s and had the rare opportunity of receiving training in Osteo-odonto keratoprosthesis (OOKP) surgery from Sussex Eye Hospital, Brighton, UK.
|1.||Fellowship in Aesthetic Medicine – Institute of Lasers and Aesthetic Medicine (ILAMED, New Delhi and Graefswald University of Germany) Jun 2015|
|2.||Femtosecond Cataract , LASIK and Therapeutic Applications – Hands-on Victus (Bausch & Lomb) course, ESCRS, London 2014|
|3.||MD Alternative Medicine , IBAM , May 2014|
|4.||Modified OsteoOdontoKeratoProsthesis (MOOKP) – 3 month fellowship, Mar-July, 2006, Sussex Eye hospital, Brighton, UK|
|5.||Fellowship in Cornea, External Eye diseases and Refractive Surgery. Moorfields Eye Hospital, London UK|
|6.||Scleral lenses – July 2006, Hertfordshire, UK|
|7.||Alphacor implantation – ASCRS 2006, San Francisco, USA|
|8.||INTACS – surgical skills course, ESCRS 2006, Monte Carlo|
|9.||Phakic IOLs Artisan Verisyse and Visian ICL– surgical skills course, ESCRS, 2006, Monte Carlo|
|10.||Moorfields CustomVue Course (AMO/VISX), 6 Dec 2005, London.|
|11.||Moorfields Basic and Advanced LASIK Course, 7 & 8 Dec 2005, London|
|12.||Fellowship in Cataract and Anterior Segment Services, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK|
|13.||Techniques in Lamellar keratoplasty – AAO, 2004, New Orleans. USA|
|14.||Sir Ratan Tata Fellowship in Phacoemulsification and Advanced Microsurgery, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai.|
|15.||Cornea Fellowship, Aravind Eye care System, Madurai, India.|
|1.||Instruction Course leader in ESCRS (European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery), Barcelona 2015.|
|2.||Instruction Course leader in ESCRS, London 2014.|
|3.||Awarded MD Alternative Medicine, IBAM, 2014.|
Journal of Visual Sciences, Karnataka
|5.||Awarded Best Paper of the Session (Cornea), AIOS, Bangalore, 2008|
|6.||Special Mention Awards at ASCRS, San Francisco, 2006|
|7.||Poster Winner at ASCRS, San Francisco, 2006|
|8.||Awarded Best Paper of the Session (Orbit), AIOS Ahmedabad, 2002.|
|9.||First to be awarded G. Venkataswamy Gold Medal in Ophthalmology for scoring the highest marks in the Diplomate of National Board Examination, Jan 2000.|
|10.||Highest Scoring MD Thesis, AIIMS, New Delhi, 2000.|
|11.||Awarded Certificate of Honour in Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology during MBBS JIPMER, 1995|
|12.||Awarded Distinction in Pathology, Microbiology and PSM, MBBS, JIPMER, 1994|
|13.||Vice President of JIPMER Students Association, 1994|
|14.||Deputy Cultural Secretary, JIPMER Students Association, 1993|
|15.||Editor-in-Chief, Student Council, Sophia High School, Bangalore, 1989|
|1.||Medical Council of India|
|2.||General Medical Council UK|
|3.||Karnataka Medical Council|
|4.||Tamil Nadu Medical Council|
|5.||Royal College Of Physicians And Surgeons Of Glasgow, UK|
|6.||Member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery|
|7.||Member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery|
|8.||National Academy of Medical Sciences, India|
|9.||All India Ophthalmological Society|
|10.||Delhi Ophthalmological Society|
|11.||Karnataka Ophthalmic Society|
|12.||Bangalore Ophthalmic Society|
|13.||Cornea Society of India|